A thing where I do NOT play acoustic guitar
I had been hitting pause on a bunch of things for weeks. At the beginning of the month I stopped posting on my art instagram because I didn’t like what I was making. I stopped taking random commissions, stopped drawing people’s pets, stopped trying to finish songs with some friends. I had deadlines for bigger things, plans for tour, time I wanted to spend with my friends. I wanted a minute to think and figure it out. Careful what you wish for, right?
A couple weeks ago I sent subscribers to this thing a video of myself playing a cover, and noted that I hate making videos. WELL! GUESS WHO GOT USED TO THAT REAL QUICK. I have done 4 live-streams in the past 7 days what the fuck is happening
I try to use this space to be encouraging, even when my natural state is killjoy. So until I can come up with something more engaging, here’s some things I know for sure:
- Pretty soon I’m going to start posting to my art insta again and it’s going to be mostly more collage, abstract, and text work that has nothing to do with cats because what’s in my brain right now is weird and queer and on fire.
- I’m going to record a Worriers solo EP titled “Stay In And Read” because that joke just writes itself. If you have any thoughts on what songs or covers you’d like to hear on that, please comment below.
- I finally watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall with friends remotely last night (for the first time, somehow) so now things like “the weather outside is weather” or the classic hit “Peter You Suck” are going to keep me sane for the next few days. I really needed that.
- Today is the last day to buy a shirt from Jeff Rosenstock that goes to benefit USBG (helping out of work bar staff), RWCF (helping out of work restaurant staff) and MusiCares (helping out of work musicians and crew members). I designed one of the shirts, and MusiCares recently helped out my bandmates and I, so how’s THAT for passing the same $20 bill around!
- I designed a shirt for tour that is now sitting in boxes but you can go order one here. Then you can wear it while watching one of my awkward Insta-live shows and no one will know you’re being “that guy”. ❤️
- My friend Brian Fallon just released a record today and it was a really lovely soundtrack to my morning coffee. Beautiful stuff. Our tourdates were rescheduled to July, so I’m crossing all my fingers and toes that we get to see you then.
In closing, I just want to remind everyone…
Change into your regular clothes in the morning.
Drink a lot of water.
Wash your hands.
Don’t touch your face.